Saturday 5 January 2013

Mark Webber Challenge - Day 2 - Team Rexona No Quit

Day 2 of the Mark Webber Challenge: Ben Lomond  

After a long first day of navigating and racing, we will be racing in the Tasmanian Alps, in Ben Lomond National Park.

Approaching the start line, we see this crazy helicopter doing stunts in the air and zooming past the cars as we are approaching. Absolutely unreal. The pilot is just nuts.

Eric and Glenn being the strongest on the bike, they will be doing the leg to the top of Ben Lomond. It is a tough 21kms climb ending up on top of Ben Lomond National Park. To put this in perspective, check the picture below:

Relentless Ben Lomond

Go Eric!  Eric and Glenn powering ahead on the bike


Glenn going uphill  Smile for the cameras

In the meantime, I am having a chat with Courtney Atkinson at the lookout, first checkpoint of the day and only checkpoint in the bike leg. Courtney was initially going to race with Ken as the Rexona Elite team but having injured himself, he is now racing in the same category as we are. Rivalry is on ;)

With Courtney Atkinson at the checkpoint
No surprise, the first teams to arrive are all pro-athletes and amongst them team James Boag and Chris Morgan, who just did this with flat paddles. Unbelievable. Team Rexona is arriving shortly after them and Ken Wallace gets off his bike, shattered and goes: “It was relentless; I just focused on Gary’s back wheel the entire climb.” 

Then Eric and Glenn arrive, and after a quick transition, Eric and I are off for a trek/run across the Tasmanian Alps. Four hours of bush bashing and rock climbing (so grateful to have my moxie gaiters!), we get all the checkpoints but at which cost. So much energy spent in getting them. 


We are one of the last team to finish the leg and then Glenn and I are off on the bike down Ben Lomond. First turn, first mistake, going too fast, braking too hard. My back wheel slide and I fly in the air and lands on my left arm. Instantly get a massive lump, the size of a golf ball. My first reaction: “S**t is my arm broken?”, Glenn laughs, tells me there is no way I could move my arm like this if it was broken and we jump back on the bikes. Very fast ride downhill and lots and lots of squid marks at every turns and some going straight off the road :/ The trail is very dusty and slippery. We are constantly on the brakes. We pass a team of two, they both look like they are hurting, with one of the guys saying he fell off his bike and popped his shoulder.

We continue and hammer it, the trail is fast, we are averaging an easy 40/50km/h. Then I hear some noise, turn my head to check if I lost something from the bike, quickly check the bike and look back at the trail. This took literally one or two seconds. Massive waterbar ahead. I am 

going too fast. No time to break. S**t. Time stops. 

I fly in the air above the handlebars in a microsecond and then crash on the ground. The most violent shock ever. Feels like I have been hit by a train at full speed, and my rib cage is totally crushed. I can’t breathe. I lay on the ground for the next few minutes trying to breathe. Thinking about the next team that will be arriving at 40/50kms and hoping they will have time to see me. Quite stressed. Can’t breathe. Ok need to relax. Slowly forcing some air in my lungs. Glenn just came back and is asking how I am. Can’t talk, still winded. Finally start to get some air and move my body. 

First thing I ask Glenn: “how is the bike?” Glenn goes to check and comes back: “the bike is OK”. Then “You have to be more careful mate”. LOL, love you too mate. I painfully stand up and then half-expecting to see blood everywhere and fractures, check my body. Lots of bruises, mud and scratches all over my body but no major injury. Freaking miracle. Then look at my right side and see a bloody patch that does not look too good with a piece of skin that has been ripped off my body. I should be able to continue. 

By this time, the other team has caught up with us and we all ride back together. I am just struggling mentally not to think too much about what happened and focus on pedalling. At least 30 minutes to go before the TA. As we are running on adrenaline this helps and the pain is contained. Thinking about Eric and the last leg which is a white water kayaking. Eric with his shoulder injury cannot really paddle. I will have to do it.

We get to the TA and the medical team is all over me, I start getting cold and shivering. I really can’t continue. Team Qantas with who we are competing for the third place is just rushing to the kayak and overtaking us. Eric is getting ready and will continue with Glenn. I am out.


Covered in dust and bruises but still smiling  It's just a flesh wound!
The medical team looks at me and recommends going to the hospital. Bruce is going to take me there and contacts the organisers for Glenn and Eric to get a ride back to the camp. After a few hours driving, we get to the St Helens district hospital. The team there looks after me really well. They remove all the dirt and gravel from my wounds (so painful), clean me, stitch and patch me up. The doctor recommends not to continue the race at this point. It is way past midnight when I get to bed.

In the meantime, Glenn and Eric crossed the finish line amongst the last teams for the day as we collected pretty much done all the optional checkpoints. We did really well and got 4 hours and 10 minutes time credit. We are third, one hour behind team Renault Sport and two hours behind Rexona. Qantas is behind us by one hour. 

By the time I get to bed, Glenn and Eric discover that there is no car waiting for them. One of the kayak organisers gives them a ride in his van. They get to the camp quite late to discover that their luggage is in the car with me at the hospital. That includes the maps which are in my suitcase. Dinner is nearly over at the camp with not much food left and no pasta at all. 

Thanks to Bruce for looking after me, taking me to the hospital and bringing back Eric and Glenn’s gear to the camp. Thanks also to team Redbullettes for providing Eric and Glenn with extra maps so they could plan the next day.

Video highlights of the Mark Webber Challenge Day 2:


Rexona No Quit Top Tips:
  • Decide who is going to be the primary team for which leg based on strengths. This will ensure best team performance with optimised breaks to recharge batteries. 
  • Take water purification tablets in case you run out of water in the middle of nowhere. It does not weight much and is very handy. 
  • Drink electrolytes, don’t bother with water. 
  • After punching the dibber, get your third team mate or host to peel and feed bananas to your team mates as they are getting changed at the TA (eg. Glenn takes a bite, and while chewing, I help him take off his bib, backpack, etc. then he takes another bite, do something while chewing, etc.) 
  • Have one or two electrolyte cups per person handy next to the gearbox to minimise back and forth to the food station.

No comments:

Post a Comment